What is an internship?
- The mission of Youth CareerConnect is to nurture a culture of internships, ensuring the
quality and increasing the number of opportunities young people have to apply their academic
experiences in workplace settings.
Great benefits for starting an internship program
- An internship is a temporary position created by a business that benefits the host
business and provides valuable work experience to a young person.
Community Benefits from Internships
- Find Future employees
- Test-drive the talent
- Increase productivity
- Increase employee-retention rate
- Give back to the community
- Support students
- Benefit your business
By hosting an intern, you will join partners in our community to collectively support
and develop the next generation of local workers.
Internship Coordinator Can Help!
Your regional Internship Coordinator is connected to the local high schools and colleges
and will find you a good set of candidates to interview.
Prepare for Hosting an Internship
- Central Oregon High Schools
- Central Oregon Community College
- OSU Cascades
- Heart of Oregon Corps (HOC)
- Central Oregon Intergovernmental Council (COIC)
- Can you support an internship?
- Is the Internship paid or unpaid?
- What efforts will be assigned to the intern(s)?
- What training will be offered to the intern(s)?
- Who will be assigned to supervise the intern(s)?
- Understand state labor laws regarding hosting interns. (Download document below)
Steps to Take
- Hours per week: 4-16 hours (variable)
- Total Hours: 65+ hours (minimum for high school students to receive school credit; College students can also receive unit credits based on type of internship)
- Period: 10-12 weeks (variable)
- Paid/Unpaid Internship: Employer's discretion
- Student Age Range: 16-24 years
- Meet with Internship Coordinator determine desire to host Internships.
- Complete the Internship Request Form providing the details of internship.
- Review candidates provided by Internship Coordinator
- Interview selected candidates
- Communicate the results of interviews to the Internship Coordinator
- Complete High School District Internship Agreement. (Applicable to High School students only)
- Welcome new Intern commencing Internship
- Communicate with Internship Coordinator on intern's progress
- Complete periodic evaluations